LeftPad

Phil Gofton

Dr. Phil Gofton became involved with MDGC in 1957 when he became a “Waiting to Play” Limited Member as the Regular Men’s compliment was full. A few months later, he became a Regular.

At Marine Drive, Dr. Gofton has been:

  • On the Links Committee, 1964 and “Forever”!
  • Member of the Board of Directors for 8 years
  • President of the Club, 1977 and 1978
  • Past President, 1979
  • Chairman of the Finance Committee, 1983
  • Two-time Vice-Captain
  • Club Captain, 1987
  • Chairman of the Long Range Planning Committee for 4 years
  • On-going Committee Member for another 18 years including Property and Kitchen Property
  • Working with the Park Board over proposed walkways along the river and the Yew Street link up
  • Two-time Honorary Vice-President
  • Honorary President
  • Chairman of Trustees, 1993
  • The only person who actually knows the boundaries of the Club

Some of the major changes to the golf course that he has been instrumental in are:

  • Greens rebuild #2, 8, 11, 12
  • Tees rebuild #3, 9, 11, 12
  • #13 green and fairway, #14 tee and green and #15 tee- over 100 000 yards of fill to re-do these areas
  • New men’s tee #16
  • Many trees removed on #5 and #8
PadR
LeftPad
RightPad