The Events link is where you will add, manage, and feature all calendar events for your website.
There are eight tabs in the Events section:
- Options: Allows you to edit the calendars' appearance. See Options.
- Calendars: Lists all the calendars on your website. Each calendar represents a different calendar page. To add a new calendar to your website, follow the instructions on Calendar.
- List Events: Lists all events for the selected month. See List Events.
- Pending Events: Displays the pending events for the selected month.
- All Upcoming: Lists all the upcoming events.
- New Event: Select to create a new event. See New Event.
- New RECURRING Event: Select to create a recurring event. See New Recurring Event.
- Export Events: Select to export the event list for a defined time period in MS Excel format.
Options allows you to edit the calendars' appearance. You can change the colours, height, width, cell size and alignment. You can select a primary calendar which will allow members to:
- choose how their calendar will display
- select events from other calendars (including special interest groups and committees) to display on their primary calendar
- view only events from a specific calendar
The Events link defaults to the List Events page where all events for the current month are displayed.
- The first column provides the option to delete the corresponding event.
- Parent: If the parent button is available, the event is a recurring event. Select the button to view the details of the parent event. For more information on parent events see New Recurring Event.
- Copy: Copies the event as a new event. This is useful for creating similiar events.
- Start Date: The start date and time of the event.
- End Date: The end date and time of the event.
- Online: A check mark indicates that this event is approved and visible on the calendar. If no check mark is present, then the event is pending and not visible.
- Event Title: Displays the event's title. Click on the Event Title to edit the event details.
To view additional months, select a month and year from the drop down menu above the events' list.
To add a new event, select New Event at the top of the page. You will have the opportunity to add the following information. Once you have completed the required fields you may add the event by clicking on the "Add Event" button.
Status: Approved Status displays the event immediately.
Calendar allows you to select WHICH calendars you want the event displayed on. You can display the event on one or multiple calendars.
Event Title allows you to enter the name of the event that will be displayed on the calendar. It is recommended that the title be kept short. A long title, particularly without spaces, will force the calendar and page to expand.
Icon: You have a variety of display icons in the drop down menu that will assist in representing your event on the calendar.
Color: You have a variety of colors available in the drop down menu to apply to your title text. A common practice is the assign the colour based on the type of event. i.e. All golf events might be green, all social events red, etc.
Start: Clicking on the Select button displays a calendar which will let you select when the event starts. Clicking on the date of choice will add it into the appropriate Start field. If you wish to include a start time, a drop down menu consisting of times in 15 minute increments is to the right of the Select field. The default time is set to NONE. You may also check the box beside All Day Event if your event is running for the entire day.
End: If your event is only taking place on one day, it is not necessary to complete the END fields. If it takes place for multiple days, and the END fields are completed, the event will be added to the calendar on each of those days.
Show this event as a feature/special event on the member home page: Select this box if you would like the event to appear as a featured event. It will be added to the Featured Section, if active, on your Member Home page and/or the Event Page Component, if it is being used.
If Featured Event is selected, the following choices become available.
Start Feature: Select the date you would like an event to start displaying as a Featured Event.
End Feature: Select the date you would like an event to stop displaying as a Featured Event.
Lead-In Text: If you have Scrolling Events set up in your Page Components, the Lead-in Text is the blurb that appears after your featured event title and date. To learn more about Page Components, go to Page Components.
* A Start and End date must be entered in order for the event to be featured.
|Advanced: If Show advanced event information is selected, the screen to the left will open up and allow you to enter your information by filling out a form. By de-selecting Show advanced event information the form will disappear.|
Whether or not you use the Advanced information form, you can add details about the event into the text editor below, just like adding content to a regular page.
At the bottom of the page you have the option of adding a Member SignUp form. This will appear as a Sign-Up link on the event page. There are 2 types of forms that can be used.
When you select Standard Forms, a drop down will appear. You will be able to choose from the PRE-SET templates in the system. THESE TEMPLATES CANNOT BE MODIFIED, but are general enough to apply to most situations. After it is filled out and submitted by the user, it will be emailed to the recipient whose email address you have entered in the required field.
If you have the BuzERS installed, you will also have the option of selecting Registration Forms. When you select Registration Forms, a drop down will appear. You will be able to choose from specific events that have been created in the ERS. For more information on BuzERS, check out Buz Event Registration System.
New RECURRING Event
Adding a Recurring Event
Adding a recurring event is almost identical to adding an event, with a few minor changes.
All fields remain the same, except Start and End. In Recurring Events you only have to specify the time of the event or if it is an all day event.
Recurrence: To select the dates of the event, click on Add Recurring Event. The following screen will pop-up. Add all dates that this event is occurring on. For example, if the event takes place every third Friday:
On the window that pops up, click on Apply Dates and Close Window.
All other options remain the same (Text Editor, sign-up option).Click on Add Event tab to complete.
To make changes to a Recurring Event, click on Parent to access the original event. Make your changes and select Update ALL occurences of this event? Leave blank to only update this occurence. Click on Add Event.
Export Events allows you to export an Excel sheet with all the events on specific calendars and within a defined time frame. Just select one or multiple calendars, a From Date, a To Date, and click on Export Events. Assuming that you have Excel installed on your computer, Excel will open up with a list of all events.